Family and Children's Agency

About Us

History

Family & Children’s Agency originally opened its doors in 1942 as the Family Service Bureau of Norwalk. In the early years, the Agency focused on counseling in response to the needs of women and families experiencing difficulties during World War II as they sought to cope with stress, separation, and loss.

In the 1950′s, Family & Children’s Agency continued its efforts to strengthen families, and also opened its Adoption program. In 1957, Family & Children’s Agency merged with Hartford Child and Family Services, becoming a statewide agency.

In response to changing community needs, in 1960 we introduced our HomeCare program to the community.

Family & Children’s Agency became an independent agency in 1977, serving the six area towns: Norwalk, Wilton, Westport, Darien, Weston, and New Canaan. Our adoption services are now available nationally and internationally.

In March of 1997, Lifeline of Southwestern Connecticut merged with Family & Children’s Agency to complement its HomeCare services.

In 1997, we changed our name to Family & Children’s Agency. As the years pass and community needs change, we’re here to help people realize life’s possibilities.