All children in foster care have experienced trauma simply by entering into care and being removed from their home. Family & Children’s Agency offers foster care designed for children with serious emotional and behavioral disorders. In FCA’s Functional Family Therapy Foster Care program, youth ages 6-18 are assigned a team of two, comprised of a Therapist and Family Specialist. The Therapist provides in-home family therapy for the youth and foster family on a weekly basis. The Family Specialist will focus on case management needs, permanency family connections, and life skill development for the youth.
By working together with the entire foster family, our goal is to decrease length of stay in foster care and increase the chance for permanency with an identified relative or kinship placement.
In addition to therapy, FCA’s Foster care program offers:
- Medication management through FCA’s nurse practitioner
- Events for foster families to celebrate, network, and enjoy time together like holiday and summer parties
- An annual foster parent dinner to recognize the hard work our foster parents do
- Adolescent events to help them build a community and develop life skills like bowling, local college tours, financial planning, and résumé writing workshops
- Therapy for the biological family and permanency resources after reunification to ensure the best chance for long-term stability
- Monthly training and support groups for foster parents on topics including attachment, trauma, behavior, cultural diversity, and mandated reporting